Mount Carmel College of Teacher Education , Kottayam, envisions a life-oriented education that empowers the teacher trainees through a humanizing and liberative process, to be agents of transformation and development at different levels of life, with a focus on the formative elements of their lives, as prospective educators and on their integral growth. Enabled and empowered, they respond pro-actively to concerns and conflicts inherent in today`s reality, especially those of women and persons who are unable to exercise their freedom to be human, and work for the integrity of creation. The thrust is in the light of a `civilization of love`- the kingdom of God, as envisaged and promoted by our Foundress, Mother Teresa of St. Rose of Lima.
1. The institution helps the students to grow in the conviction that to ‘educate’ is a vocation, with the need to internalize and transmit basic human values. It aims at preparing the student trainees:
2. To promote a College/ Community/Society/Nation where spiritual, moral and genuine human values are lived and witnessed.
3.To contribute to the transformation of society through an openness to reality and to undertake the challenges of being socially conscious and socially responsible.
4. To synergise women and those who are prevented from exercising their right to be human,through enlightening them regarding their basic human rights and helping them achieve the same.
5.To promote inter-cultural and inter-religious harmony and communion through promoting genuine dialogue in an atmosphere of respect and openness, and to facilitate experiential dialogue, whereby individuals work together for the common good of the human family.
6.To facilitate leadership among the students enabling them to be genuinely other-centered, pro-actively enthusiastic, and spiritually and socially motivated towards personal, group and societal liberation.
7. To provide quality integral education which is life, vocation and career-oriented and to promote a climate for human and academic excellence with openness to learning, research, and the development of professional skills, so that work towards the empowerment of persons and transformation of society will be fostered.
8. To work towards the integrity of creation through being conscious and alert to the state of devastation and destruction of creation and the serious perils humanity is plunged into and to promote programmes/movements that foster inter-connectedness, kinship and eco-justice.